This course combines practical and theoretical parts of head and neck soft tissue surgery. Most of the time will be spent in the wet lab performing surgeries but enough theory will be given so the candidate is able to make good decisions on when and how to do the surgeries but also how to manage complications. The course is suitable for all levels from beginners to advanced as there will be something to be gained by everyone. It is also designed to be flexible so people can practice at their own pace and concentrate on techniques that they would like to perfect. The tutors will be available to observe, and have direct involvement in teaching the procedures.
- To have an understanding of anatomy of the head and neck and related surgeries
- To understand the application and when to select different surgical procedures of the head and neck
- To learn enough of the theory to enable decision making when deciding which surgeries to perform
- To have knowledge of the risks and complications of each procedure and how to reduce these.
Jackie Demetriou will be one of the course tutors. She is a European Boarded Specialist in Small Animal Surgery, who has practiced specialist level soft tissue surgery for the past 20 years. She has worked in both academia (University of Edinburgh, University of Cambridge and University of Nottingham) and private referral practice. She has extensive experience teaching general practitioners the theory and practice of surgery and really enjoys seeing how surgeons gain confidence in managing cases and performing surgeries after these CPD events.
- Ear surgery
- Pinnectomy, biopsy
- Lateral wall resection
- Total ear canal ablation / bulla osteotomy
- Ventral bulla osteotomy (cat)
- Mandibulectomy – rostral and central
- Maxillectomy – rostral and central
- BOAS surgery
- Nasal surgery
- Dorsal rhinotomy
- Neck exploration
- Sialoadenectomy (mandibular)
- Laryngeal tie back